On this day in 1918… Mrs. Whitney formally established the Whitney Studio Club where, over the next decade, more than eighty-six exhibitions were held. Among these were the first solo exhibitions of Edward Hopper (1920) and Reginald Marsh (1924). The membership requirements? Simple: Any artist that who was introduced by a member could join.
Charles Sheeler, Office Interior, Whitney Studio Club, 10 West 8 Street, c. 1928. Gelatin silver print, 7 1/2 × 9 3/8 in. (19.1 × 23.8 cm). Whitney Museum of American Art, New York; gift of Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney 93.24.1